1900 Fire protection was the New York Leather Company Tannery and possibly the Jump River Lumber Company sawmill fire brigades. The official organization of the Prentice Volunteer Fire Department took place on July 24th 1905.
The fire departments first fire barn was on Center Street and used teams of horses for moving their fire buckets, ladders, hose reels and fire fighting equipment. In the 1930’s the village fire department had their first fire truck, which carried fire equipment, buckets, hose and ladders.
The Prentice Volunteer Fire Department is a Village and township owned organization directed by a Joint Fire Board. The Fire Department has fire protection contracts with the Towns of Prentice, Knox and Hackett. for a total service area covering approximately 250 square miles.
In 1968, the Prentice Volunteer Fire Department Ambulance Service was officially formed, The two Ambulances Serving 500 square miles for the Villages of Prentice, Kennan, Catawba, Townships of Kennan, Prentice, Hackett, Knox, Catawba, Ogema, Spirit, Hill, and Georgetown.